index | search | no replies | posting guidelines | help login | register
Index » Products » ASP Report Wizard v2
search this forum:
:: User Defined Input :: (10)Post a New Message | Post a Reply
Nov 2 2004, 11:03 AM
 User Defined InputPost a Reply
 scotthibbs

View this author's profile Send this author a private message

I created a report with a user defined parameter.  When the objWiz.DisplayReports() is called, it spits out some HTML to gather the input from the user, but the rest of my page does not display....your object seems to be stopping the rest of the page from being displayed.  Since we have a javascipt later on on the page to show the report when it is done, the page appears to hang.  

Shouldn't your object let the rest of my page load even if it is trying to collect used defined input?????

Nov 3 2004, 6:13 AM
 Re: User Defined InputPost a Reply
 ghost

View this author's profile Send this author a private message Visit author's homepage

This bug has been fixed as of version 2.4.64.
You can download a copy from the link below:

http://www.aspwebsolution.com/products/report%5Fwizard/download.htm

-------------------------
Ghost
Nov 3 2004, 6:17 AM
 scotthibbs

Is is necessary to unregister and reregister the DLL everytime we put in a new version????  If so, this takes a lot of time and is very error prone.
I have always done so in the past, but a compatible dll would be very helpful.

Nov 3 2004, 3:55 PM
 scotthibbs

OK.....I reregistered the new DLL and the user prompt issue is corrected.
However, there is still some related problems.  The first one I see is that
if your object throws an error, then the page stops being displayed....the same way as it did in the old dll when processing user input.  On our pages, this makes the report tool appear to hang.......i.e. the rest of the page never loads.  Even if there is an error, the rest of our page should load.

Also, user defined input fields are not working.  I have a text field called Customer in my view.  If I add a filter as Customer = ?Customer.....and
I supply 'ABB' as the Customer field....when I submit the query...the page returns "Invalid column name 'ABB'"....but I can't see the error unless I look at the HTML source because of the problem above.

Nov 4 2004, 6:44 AM
 ghost

View this author's profile Send this author a private message Visit author's homepage

if your object throws an error, then the page stops being displayed....the same way as it did in the old dll when processing user input.  

This was a deisgn feature - if there is a severe error, the processing has to stop. I have to check if we can have this removed.

Also, user defined input fields are not working.  I have a text field called Customer in my view.  If I add a filter as Customer = ?Customer.....and
I supply 'ABB' as the Customer field....when I submit the query...the page returns "Invalid column name 'ABB'

Can't reproduce this error. Make sure you are not adding single quotes in the Required Parameter(s) box.

Ghost
Nov 4 2004, 7:00 AM
 scotthibbs

On the column problem.....I am not adding quotes.  Have you tested with a view that has column aliases?

On the error issue.....The effect of this is that the page appears chopped off....our normal page footer and the balance of the table will not appear.  This looks very sloppy to the end user.  Even if there is an error, the object should let the rest of our page process.  In prior versions of your object, that was how it worked.  This halting of processing is something new you have added since we designed our pages.  We used to see your error in red...then the rest of our page.

Nov 5 2004, 7:14 AM
 scotthibbs

I have had two report from users about this problem of the page being chopped off when an error occurs.

As is said before, this is not how the object behaved when we designed the web pages.

Please let me know when the object will behave the way it did when we purchased it.  Having the page output stop when your object finds an error is not very friendly.

Nov 5 2004, 12:43 PM
 ghost

Actually, it was always that way. It depends the severity of the problem.
We have taken off most the error breaks in the current version (v2.4.65)
Try it out let me know if you need anything else

Ghost
Nov 5 2004, 12:51 PM
 scotthibbs

Will try the latest version.

How severe does the error have to
be to stop allowing my page to format?  I am sure most of your
customers will be embedding your object inside their own sites and/or portals.  It looks very strange to see an error message in bold red hanging
in space...with no normal page footer in view.  It looks like the web server didn't finish it's job.  It would be much better to allow us to test a property of the object and perhaps extract the text of the error in the event that an error occurs.  That would insure me that my page will be presented in whole to my customer.

Nov 5 2004, 1:46 PM
 ghost

I will make sure that the the next minor release will does not have any of these page stops

Ghost
Pages: (1)   [1]

search this forum: