Index » Products » ASP Report Wizard v2
search this forum:
:: SQL 2005 Connection Problems :: (2)Post a New Message | Post a Reply
Sep 20 2006, 1:20 PM
 SQL 2005 Connection ProblemsPost a Reply
 ScottRB

View this author's profile Send this author a private message

since: Sep 20, 2006

I am having problems accessing my SQL 2005 (named instance) database using RW. If I use a DSN I get a Build Report button and no error messages but no tables to select from. If I use the following:

strConnectionString = "Provider=SQLNCLI;" & _
    "Server=ServerIP;Database=DatabaseName;" & _
    "UID=UserID;PWD=Password;"

Errors Occured!
Error #:-2147467259 Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53].

What could be the issue.

Sep 20 2006, 1:59 PM
 Re: SQL 2005 Connection ProblemsPost a Reply
 ghost

View this author's profile Send this author a private message Visit author's homepage

try this:

First suggestion is to make sure that you specifiy the instance name as well as the server name (christ knows why, but when MS refer to "Server Name" they really mean "Server Instance Name") eg if your server was named 'bigturnip' then you need to specify 'bigturnip\sqlexpress' (where sqlexpress is the instance name - this one just happens to be the default used by SQL Server 2005 SQLExpress).

If that doesn't help, then go into the SQL Server Configuration Manager and make sure you've enabled Named Pipes & TCP (if you're using it) and also go into the Surface Area Configuration tool and make sure you've set it for local &/or remote connection for the connection types you want to use.  Then restart the SQL Server (instance) service.

-------------------------
Ghost
Pages: (1)   [1]

search this forum: